Officers are investigating after a 20-year-old woman was attacked in Princes Street Gardens at around 3.45am on Monday, May 1.

Pictures from the scene show a blue forensics tape erected in the park and large cordon in place. Police Scotland confirmed inquiries into the serious sexual assault are at an ‘early stage’, Edinburgh Live reports.

A cordon has been put in place at scene.

A statement from the force said: “Around 3.45am on Monday, 1, May, we received a report of the serious sexual assault of a 20-year-old woman in the Princes Street Gardens area of Edinburgh.

A forensics tent and police cordon remain in place.

“Inquiries are at an early stage and ongoing to establish the full circumstances.”

Edinburgh City Council confirmed the gardens remain closed.

In a tweet, they said: “Due to a police incident in Princes Street Gardens, the gardens are closed to the public, including the toilets.”

Police Scotland later announced that a teenage youth had been arrested in connection with the incident.