By Bill Heaney
See that £20 million Boris Johnston promised West Dunbartonshire Council to regenerate Dumbarton Town Centre? Well, it’s no longer a certainty that the cheque will be dropping through their Church Street letterbox.
Our naive councillors who believed Boris, whose reputation for being economical with the truth goes before him, and the spin doctors who farmed out the story, have once again been caught with their pants round their ankles.
There was no surprise amongst MSPs when it became clear in the Scottish Parliament on Thursday that it was not just West Dunbartonshire who would have to hold their horses on this.
Every skint council in the country – they are all stony broke – will have to face up to the fact that the cash might not now be coming their way.
Deputy First Minister Kate Forbes and Deputy Prime Minister Angela Rayner.
Kate Forbes told him: “The member makes a compelling case for decisions being made as close to those who benefit as possible—namely, being made here in the Scottish Government. As I mentioned, I raised the matter with the Deputy Prime Minister last week. I reiterated our concerns about the levelling up fund and how it has been overly politicised under previous regimes.
“As I understand it, the big risk is what will happen on 30 October, when the UK Government makes its budget statement. We sincerely hope that decisions will not be made in that budget that impact Scotland, negatively.”
Despite the blowing of Labour trumpets across Scotland, including West Dunbartonshire, about the promise of Conservative cash coming our way, it might no longer happen.
Which once again leaves West Dunbartonshire Council looking extremely stupid, especially since they have already started spending the money on a new library and museum in Glencairn House on the High Street.
Paul Sweeney MSP, their Labour colleague at Holyrood, told the chamber what his feelings were on the matter — “The manner in which projects were put forward by Glasgow City Council for levelling up funding was extremely opaque and involved gate keeping.
“Notwithstanding that, will the Deputy First Minister [Katie Forbes] confirm when the Scottish Government’s regeneration funds, such as the vacant and derelict land investment programme and the regeneration capital grant fund, will be reopened, given that other projects are critically dependent on that funding?”

