Valerie Jennings addresses a UNISON meeting in Dumbarton.
By Bill Heaney
West Dunbartonshire Branch of Unison convener Valerie Jennings has sent an update to colleagues on pay from Fair Pay for Scottish Council Workers.
Valerie was responding to the fact that a number of members had contacted her regarding media reports that the teaching unions have received a revised pay offer and asking whether that now means our own pay negotiations have re-opened.
She said this is what UNISON have been told:
– The press is reporting on a letter sent to the Teaching Trade Unions by John Swinney MSP.
– We understand that this is not an ‘offer’ made as part of the collective bargaining machinery – it is a ‘proposal’ made by the Scottish Government without reference to COSLA.
– Only the employer (COSLA) can make an offer – they have not (yet) done so.
– COSLA Leaders, who would have to sign off any revised offer, does not meet until the 29th March.
– We have asked COSLA for clarity on this proposal – how much money is being put in, whether it relates to cost of living increases or pay restructuring and what it would mean in terms of the total pay offer value – we understand the Scottish Government have not yet provided this information to COSLA.
– We need and will examine carefully this information, when it is received, in order to assess whether the terms of the re-opener clause in our pay deal have been met.
UNISON’s Local Government Committee meets on Thursday and will consider our position further at that point.