Argyll and Bute by-election candidates confirmed
By Lucy Ashton
Candidates standing for election in Bute and Helensburgh and Lomond South on Thursday, March 18, have now been confirmed.
Argyll and Bute Council is holding by-elections in two wards – Ward 8, Isle of Bute and Ward 11, Helensburgh and Lomond South – which each have a vacancy for one councillor.
Candidates in Ward 11, Helensburgh and Lomond South, are listed below (in alphabetical order):
- Henry Boswell (Scottish Liberal Democrat)
- Paul Burrows (Workers Party)
- Math Campbell-Sturgess (Scottish National Party)
- Mike Crowe (Scottish Green Party)
- Jane Bruce Kelly (Scottish Labour Party)
- Gemma Penfold (Scottish Conservative and Unionist)
In Ward 8, Isle of Bute, the candidates are (in alphabetical order):
- Kim Findlay (Scottish National Party)
- Fraser Gillies (Independent)
- Dawn MacDonald (Scottish Labour Party)
- Liz McCabe (Independent)
- Peter Wallace (Scottish Conservative and Unionist)
Since 2007, councillors in Scotland have been elected using the Single Transferable Vote (STV) system. This allows voters to express a preference for more than one candidate by ranking them in order.
Information about how to mark your vote is provided on your polling card/your postal voting pack and within polling stations. This doesn’t tell you who to vote for, but shows you how to mark your choices correctly on your ballot paper on the day or on your postal vote.
Votes in both wards will be counted the day after polling day, on Friday 19th March 2021, and results will be published online as soon as they are available.
Find the list of candidates and more information about the Argyll and Bute Council by-elections at List of Election Agents – Council By-Elections 18th March (argyll-bute.gov.uk)
The updated list of polling stations for each ward is also online at SLG Notice of poll and situation of polling stations (argyll-bute.gov.uk)
Helensburgh, where the voting for Argyll and Bute Council takes place on March 18.