Stuart Bryant and Ian Broadfoot were jailed in the High Court at Glasgow.
By Lucy Ashton
Two ex-Royal Marines have been sent to prison for drugs, firearms and serious organised crime offences following a pro-active operation by Police Scotland and the Ministry of Defence Police.
Stuart Bryant (31) was sentenced to three years and nine months and Grant Broadfoot (29) to five years and three months, at the High Court in Glasgow today, Tuesday, 10 May 2022.
A third man, Ian Broadfoot (62) – the father of Grant Broadfoot – was sentenced to a Community Payback Order of 225 hours to be completed within 12 months.
Grant Broadfoot also had a Serious Crime Prevention Order imposed for three years.
On Wednesday, 3 June 2020, Police Scotland officers arrested the three men as they transferred items from a military vehicle to a van belonging to Ian Broadfoot in a car park in Glasgow.
The vehicles were searched and 30kg of herbal cannabis with an estimated street value of £300,000 was recovered.
They had pleaded guilty when they first appeared at the High Court in Glasgow on Tuesday, 5 April 2022.
Intelligence about the men’s activity had been obtained during Operation Venetic – the most significant operation into serious and organised crime involving Police Scotland, the National Crime Agency and police forces across the UK – and their sentences have been welcomed by police and prosecutors.
Detective Chief Superintendent Stuart Houston, Head of Police Scotland’s Organised Crime Unit, said:
“The three men intended to blight our communities with drugs and violence and their sentencing is the welcome culmination of a protracted and complex investigation.
“I am taking the opportunity to thank the team of Police Scotland officers who worked tirelessly, with the Crown Office and Procurator Fiscal Service, to bring the men to justice and to also acknowledge the invaluable assistance from our colleagues in the Ministry of Defence Police.”
David Green, Procurator Fiscal for Major Crime and Homicide, said: “These men were involved in bringing drugs and all the harm that comes with them into Scotland.
“The full extent of their criminality was uncovered thanks to the infiltration of the encrypted messaging service Encrochat and the resulting multi-agency investigation.
“COPFS will continue to work with colleagues from across the justice sector to target those involved in serious organised crime.”
Raffaele D’Orsi, the Ministry of Defence Police’s Head of Intelligence and Investigation, said: “I am very proud of the dedicated officers and staff involved in the delivery of these results.
“The sentencing of all three men is testament to an exceptional, complicated, and meticulous collaborative investigation, demonstrating how serious the courts view this criminality and sending out a clear deterrent message.
“The Ministry of Defence Police will continue to identify anyone who is a threat to the MOD’s people, assets or estates, and we will reach out into the communities, working with our policing colleagues in other forces, to mitigate such threats and bring all involved to justice, whether they are Defence employees or not and wherever they may be.”
Commandant General of the Royal Marines, Lieutenant General Rob Magowan said: “The criminal activities of these two former Royal Marines are irreconcilable with the Corps’ ethos and values.
“There is no room for complacency, however, and every effort will be made to ensure that Royal Marines everywhere behave in accordance with the high standards society expects.”
Detective Chief Superintendent Stuart Houston added: “Disrupting the activities of organised crime groups and making the country an extremely hostile environment for them to operate is one of Police Scotland’s top priorities.
“There is no place for serious organised criminality in our society and, working in partnership with law enforcement agencies and the members of the Serious Organised Crime Task-force, we will continue our fight against those involved in serious and organised crime to keep our communities safe.”