The old Rialto cinema in Dumbarton where, after church halls, bingo made its debut in Dumbarton 60 years ago. The owners, Carlton Bingo, will not re-open after suffering a downturn in business during the pandemic.
By Democrat reporter
First Minister Nicola Sturgeon confirmed today that, for now, Scotland must remain in Phase 3 of lockdown.
However she did announce the following:
- Gyms, swimming pools and indoor sports courts will be able to reopen from 31 August – subject to strict guidance being observed
- From Monday 24 August live events, outdoor contact sport, indoor advice centres and child contact centres can reopen and driving lessons can resume
- Also able to return on Monday 24 August are bingo, amusement arcades, casinos, snooker/pool halls, indoor bowling and funfairs
- It is hoped stadia and entertainment venues can reopen by 14 September, with the return of indoor contact sport for all
- It is also hoped more people will be able to attend weddings and wakes by 14 September – though numbers will remain restricted
- There is no date for a return to non-essential offices and ‘working from home remains the default position’
- Police in Scotland will be given powers to break up and disperse house parties
- Councils will be able to close pubs and other hospitality venues which are not complying with the guidance
- 77 new cases of coronavirus have been recorded in the past 24 hours – the highest number for nearly three months
- The estimated upper range for the R number could be above one in Scotland
Weddings – it is hoped more people may be able to attend ceremonies in church from September 14. Pictures by Bill Heaney
The First Minister told MSPs: “Since yesterday, an additional 77 cases of Covid-19 have been confirmed, which represents 1 per cent of those who were newly tested yesterday and takes the total number of cases to 19,534. That is the highest number of new cases in almost three months, which underlines the need for continuing caution.
“A total of 249 patients are currently in hospital with confirmed Covid, which is an increase of one since yesterday. Two people are in intensive care, which is the same as yesterday.
“In the past 24 hours, no deaths have been registered of patients who had been confirmed through a test as having the virus. The total number of deaths in Scotland under that measurement therefore remains 2,492.
“However, yesterday’s figures from National Records of Scotland, which reported three Covid deaths during the previous week, showed that the total number of deaths is higher than that, and that people are still dying from the virus.
“We must never lose sight of the grief and heartbreak that is caused by every one of those deaths. I again send my condolences to everyone who has lost a loved one to the illness.”
She added: “I turn now to the review of lockdown restrictions. I am not able to say that there will be a move today from phase 3 of our route map out of lockdown to phase 4. For now, we will remain in phase 3. I must give notice that that might well also be the case beyond the next review point.
“For us to move to phase 4, we would have to be satisfied that “the virus is no longer considered a significant threat to public health”.
“That is a quotation from our route map. As today’s figures have demonstrated, and as has been confirmed to me in advice from the chief medical officer, that is definitely not the case.
“Therefore, today’s update sets out which phase 3 restrictions will be changed in the coming weeks, while other necessary restrictions will remain in place. This has involved some difficult and delicate decisions.”
Later, we received this on social media:
What’s happening then? I think we should be told.