Warning issued after toxic blue-green algae identified at beauty spot
Rangers have urged people to be vigilant when near water at Loch Lomond and The Trossachs National Park
People are being urged to remain vigilant when near the water after the algae was spotted at Milarrochy Bay on Friday.
The blue-green algae can be fatal to dogs and other animals and can cause rashes and illness in humans if swallowed.
A warning from the National Park read: “Please be aware we have had reports of blue-green algae at Milarrochy Bay which can produce toxins that can kill dogs and other animals.
“In humans it can cause rashes after skin contact and illnesses if swallowed.
“Because of the risk to animals and humans, when we are notified that an algae bloom has been seen in an area of the Park, we post warnings online right away to let people know.
“If we have posted a warning or if there are warning signs on the Loch shore, then people are advised to keep themselves and their pets and livestock out of the water.”
Michelle Henry said her daughter Ava, 11, came back from a school activities trip to Luss covered in a rash caused by the algae.
She said: “Ava was away to Luss with her primary seven class from Monday to Thursday, doing all different water activities including paddle boarding, canoeing and craft building.
“After her second day she had a rash on her arms, then by Thursday it was all over her legs and arms.
“The same happened to her last year when we had been paddleboarding and then it came out about the algae then too.
“I wasn’t aware of the algae being back until I saw it on the Loch Lomond Facebook page.
“Ava has now been given a steroid cream to try and take the itch away.
“It depends when they realised the loch had algae, but there should definitely be signs up now to make the public aware, as it can also cause dogs to die.”
Picture: Poisonous alga has been spotted at Milarrochy Bay on Loch Lomondside.