By Glen Douglas       Pictures by Jon Leino

It was a disappointing day for Sons who threw away the chance to consolidate their position at the top of the league.

The Loons almost went ahead in the early minutes when a Stef McCluskey  shot cannoned off the crossbar.

He had latched on to a low Craig Thomson cross into the box, but Sons stayed level and the rattled crossbar saved them from conceding early.

Sons’ hopes of a comfortable away win disappeared out the door in the 12th minute though when Ryan McGeever was ordered off for bringing down Ben Armour who was through on goal.

Ben Armour had nicked the ball off McGeever and raced through on goal, but he was upended and the centre half was red carded.

The Loons’ danger man was unquestionably Stef McCluskey who flicked a header just wide of Sons’ goal on the quarter hour mark.

In the 22nd minute McCluskey was through on goal again with only ‘keeper Long to chip, but he shot wide of the post.

A minute later it was that man McCluskey again for Forfar.  This time the striker did manage to lob the Sons’ goalie, but his shot bounced wide of the target.

The Station Park lads were enjoying the majority of possession and chances, with the wind at their backs and man advantage, kept coming like bridies at a Forfar wedding buffet.

The referee had kept his cards in his pocket up to this point, but in the 38th minute Docherty was given a yellow for a poor challenge.

Then McCluskey had another shot at goal which was well saved by Long five minutes from half-time.

A Forfar corner nearly went straight across the goal line and into the net, but Long parried the ball  away and the danger was cleared.

The Loons were coming closer, but the Angus men failed to find a breakthrough against ten-man Dumbarton.

Half Time: Forfar Athletic 0-0 Dumbarton

First blow went to the Loons when a low driven Forfar free kick from a yard outside the box was deflected behind for a corner.
Then Armour in the 48th minute was fouled right on the edge of the box. Big chance.

It looked for a moment as though the free kick was deflected into the goal, but the ball went wide for a corner.

Then McCluskey headed the resultant award past the post.

It was Joe McKee’s turn to take a pop at goal and he  fired a free kick from the edge of the area over the bar and into the terracing.

Sighs of relief came then until McNiff thwarted Robson as he looked to be through on goal.

That goal was coming down the line though, and it was no great surprise when in the 58th minute Ben Armour snatched it for the bridie munchers.

Five minutes later Andy Munro incredibly somehow hit both posts yet failed to score with a curling effort. So close.

Then it was a penalty when Seb Ross nicked the ball inside the box and was scythed to the floor.

The penalty award presented a puzzle for the press. Nobody was particularly sure what it was for.

Substitutions  were then made for Dumbarton – McLean made his debut replacing Orli Kalvin and  Ally Love replaced David Wilson as Sons attempted to change things. Then Flanagan came on for Ross Sebastian, who was consigned to the bench.

At last, it’s a penalty for Sons. A chance to pull one back, as they do with Ally Love hammering the sphere past the rooted-to-the-spot custodian into the Forfar onion bag.

Loons’ Carswell can consider himself a very lucky man to have avoided a second yellow for wiping out Flanagan in a most unsporting manner.

As the final whistle loomed, Sons’ keeper Long got down to make a wonderful stop from a shot from outside the six-yard box to prevent the home side doubling their lead, and then Aitken should have wrapped it up for Forfar but Long saved the day – but not the points.

  • Full Time: Forfar Athletic 2-1 Dumbarton

Leave a Reply