At least 313 Palestinians were killed, including 20 children, and nearly 2,000 wounded as a result of airstrikes in Gaza since Saturday, the Palestinian authority said. Seven people were also killed by Israeli army fire in the West Bank.
Israeli prime minister Benjamin Netanyahu declared Israel is at war after Hamas militants broke out of the blockaded Gaza Strip on Saturday to launch an early morning attack. He warned people living in Gaza to leave as he vowed to turn parts of the territory “into ruins”.
An Israeli military official said “hundreds of terrorists” had been killed and dozens captured amid ongoing fighting with Hamas militants in Gaza and southern Israel.
Hamas blindsides Israel with most serious attack in a generation – Jeremy Bowen
Israel was taken by surprise by the most ambitious operation Hamas has ever launched from Gaza.
The scale of what’s been happening is unprecedented. Hamas breached the wire that separates Gaza from Israel in multiple places in the most serious cross-border attack Israel has faced in more than a generation.
It came a day after the 50th anniversary of the surprise attack by Egypt and Syria in 1973 that started a major Middle East war. The significance of the date will not have been lost on the Hamas leadership.
Israel’s Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu says his country is at war and will exact a heavy price from its enemies.
Videos and photos of dead Israelis, civilians as well as soldiers, are all over social media. Other videos of armed men from Hamas hauling soldiers and civilians into captivity in Gaza have enraged and alarmed Israelis.