When the Hi Hi hit an all-time low

Gerry Hassan recalls in the Scottish Review how Third Lanark, whose team included local players, were ruined by a redevelopment plan for their stadium

When I was a copy boy, I went often around the grounds of Glasgow’s senior football clubs on Saturday afternoons to phone in “copy” for sportswriters on the Evening Citizen writes Bill Heaney.

Bobby Maitland was deputy to big Malky Munro, who was styled Champion of the Fans, by sports editor George Aitken, so Bobby, Ian Peebles and Dixon Blackstock got to cover the secondary matches of clubs such as Third Lanark, Partick Thistle and Clyde.

Rangers and Celtic games were the exclusive province of Malky who was allocated acres of space on the sports pages of the Saturday night “green”.

The leading sports writers for the opposition, the Evening Times’s Saturday night “pink” were Gare Henderson and Peter Hendry.

Gare was the top man from the Mitchell Street-based “Times” and Peter squeezed into the tiny press boxes of Firhill, Shawfield and Cathkin Park with us.

Occasionally, when Malky was off on holiday or off on the skite, we got to go to Ibrox or Parkhead for Old Firm games against the lower orders, teams such as Falkirk, Airdrie and Raith Rovers.

Memories of those almost always happy days came flooding back this week when I read in the Scottish Review, Scotland’s best on-line journal, a piece by Gerry Hassan about the demise of Third Lanark, who lost their last every league match by 5-1 to Dumbarton at fatal Boghead in 1967.

Hassan’s line was that in Scotland we seem to get too much football and too much bad football coverage – “We get a narrow bandwidth of football which results in numerous stories, triumphs and tragedies becoming forgotten, as we surfeit on a diet of the stale Old Firm.”

Evan Williams, pictured below, who played for the club they called the Hi, Hi, was one of a number of Dumbarton men who wore the scarlet shirt for Third Lanark. Drew Busby, who later played for Hearts and Airdrie, and Tommy Holleran, who played for Beith Juniors – junior football was then of equivalent standard and got bigger crowds than today’s clubs in the Scottish Championship.

Williams Evan

Evan Williams, the Dumbarton man who played for Celtic and Third Lanark.

The story of Third Lanark is widely known by fans of my generation, but the detail isn’t, and I am delighted to draw your attention to Hassan’s article in the Scottish Review where he writes about the fact that purpleTV have made a one-hour long film, simply titled ‘Third Lanark,’ which was shown recently on BBC Alba, the Scottish Gaelic channel.
Amongst the I didn’t know about Third Lanark – whose nickname was ‘the Hi Hi’ or ‘Thirds’ – included the fact that they took their name from the Third Lanarkshire Rifle Volunteers. Founded in 1872, they were inaugural members of both the SFA and the Scottish Football League, won the league in 1903-4, as well as two Scottish Cups in 1889 and 1905, and finished third in 1961. They scored exactly 100 league goals, although over 34 games they also let in 80. Despite this record, they closed down five years short of their 100th anniversary.
The film tells the story of the good years of Thirds. The winning of the league, the numerous cup runs and finals, and the prestigious international tours. These produced many memorable adventures such as the time returning from Argentina in the 1920s when they picked up a shipwrecked Raith Rovers in the Canaries; or when an illicit footballing tour of Spain by some Thirds players in the 1960s was discovered by the SFA who fined all participating players £50 each.
Then there were the characters that passed through Thirds, some becoming famous in other clubs. There was Ally MacLeod, future Scotland manager, who played for Thirds from 1949-55; and Ronnie Simpson, goalkeeper for 1950-51, who made his name as Celtic’s goalkeeper when they won the European Cup – the same year the Thirds disappeared.
Gerry Hassan writes: “There are so many interesting stories about Thirds including those about Bob Shankly, brother of Bill, and George Young, ex-Rangers and Scotland captain, who both served as latter day managers. Not all can be included in one film. For example, Gil Scott – the ‘Black Arrow,’ who played for Celtic – played for Thirds the following year, 1951-52. Thirds legends can be found all over the country still. Two years ago, watching a Port Glasgow FC junior game I started chatting to an elderly man who introduced himself as Billy MacFarlane and told me that he was the ripe age of 84. He told me how he had played in goal for Thirds in 1951-52, for the weekly rate, he claimed, of £10 per week. His parents had given him the sound advice not to sign for Celtic or Rangers – as ‘they paid baubles.’
“How did a club which rose so high fall so precipitously? The answer is that in 1962 Bill Hiddleston took control of Thirds. He subsequently starved the club of funds with the hope of selling off the ground and land for development. In this, he was way ahead of his time – such moves becoming part and parcel of the modern game. But Hiddleston was ill-advised, as Glasgow Council (then ‘the Corporation’) had the ground designated for recreational use and refused to reclassify it for housing.”

This story has re-emerged in the middle of the controversy over Dumbarton FC’s plans to build a new stadium on the banks of the River Leven and south of Dalmoak Farm, near Renton, which became known last century as “the cradle of Scottish football”.

Renton won the so-called World Cup in by beating West Bromwich Albion in 1888 when they had legendary players like Johnny Madden, who scored the first ever goal for Celtic in an Old Firm match, in their squad at Tontine Park. Perhaps the Third Lanark film is a cautionary tale for Dumbarton?
But back to the film about Third Lanark. There are many moving testimonies in the film from surviving Thirds players: John Kinnaird, Mike Jackson, David and Ian Hilley, Alan Mackay, who went on to play for Dumbarton, and Tony Connell. Alan Mackay talked of his ‘tremendous pride for having been a Third Lanark player’; Evan Williams on how the players enjoyed ‘the social life’ of Glasgow in simpler terms such as ‘bacon and eggs in the Horseshoe [Bar] and thinking we were very sophisticated.’

In the last few years of the club, Hiddleston didn’t spend any money or file accounts. He didn’t pay prizes from the club pools, put floodlights on for evening training, or even buy new footballs. Kinnaird reflected on the club not buying new balls to save money, with old balls being whitewashed, commenting ‘I headed it and when it came to half-time there was a big white mark on my head.’ Williams remembered the tawdry nature of the last years of the club: ‘We were paid a few Saturdays with the gate money – half crowns, thrupenny bits, shillings – all being counted into a wee packet as we stood.’
When Third Lanark went out of existence players and supporters were both shocked. Mackay remembers it well with ‘a whole raft of emotions – devastation, disbelief, anger – because someone was saying Third Lanark no longer existed.’ It was ‘brutal. It hurts to this day,’ and it hurt more because the players learned individually, rather than being told as a group. Mackay recalls ‘the tragedy was we weren’t together.’ Andy Mitchell, football historian, says that when Thirds went out of business, ‘everybody was positive about Scottish football except for Third Lanark – they fell below the radar.’
Thirds’ last league game was on 28 April 1967 when they lost 5-1 away to Dumbarton; two weeks previously, Scotland famously beat the World Cup champions England at Wembley, and just days before Celtic secured their place in the European Cup final, going on to win it – the first ever British team to do so.
The good times were taken for granted. Archie Macpherson writing in ‘Flower of Scotland,’ a history of the game, agrees with Mitchell: ‘Hardly anybody cared in 1967’ about Thirds. ‘The feeling, in a way,’ he writes, ‘was that they had it coming. That attitude helped bring about the most scandalous death in British football.’ All this was over debts of £40,000, which wasn’t even much in 1967 in football. Compare that now with the millions which brought Rangers down, or the obscene amounts involved in football transfers, such as Neymar’s move to Paris Saint-Germain for £200 million.
Some things never change in that the football authorities were too slow to move. The SFA did nothing as Hiddleston ran the club down, and while the Board of Trade was notified in 1965 of wrongdoing and began an investigation in 1966, it didn’t report until after the club’s demise. Four directors were subsequently found to have contravened the Companies Act, but Hiddleston evaded justice, dying in November 1967. The fate of Thirds had wider ramifications for football in Glasgow, Bob Crampsey observing that it began ‘the process of weakening all but the two big clubs in Glasgow.’
Throughout ‘Third Lanark’ the backdrop of Cathkin Park (or New Cathkin Park to give its proper name) looms large, sitting just north of Hampden Park and south of Myrtle Park on Glasgow’s southside. It is a ground Crampsey once called ‘an oasis in an industrial desert.’ We see archive film of a packed ground when some of the big teams came to play. This is a stadium which held 45,000 at its peak in the 1950s and reputedly as late as 1962 when Rangers came to visit.
The striking images are of what remains of Cathkin Park today because, for those who don’t know, over 50 years after its demise, most of the stadium still stands unchanged from those last desperate chants of ‘the Hi Hi’ supporters. All of the main concrete terraces remain, their barriers intact, with trees and shrubbery growing out of them. The pitch is still there, kept tidy by the council, and when the goalposts are put up, with their flaking paint, you can imagine that these are the very same ones that Thirds played with, and who knows, maybe they are.
Gerry Hassan says: “What is missing from Cathkin Park, apart from the thousands who flocked there, is the wooden grandstand which was dismantled in the 1970s, where a large gap remains in the terracing. It is, however, a magical place, filled with history and an atmosphere which seems to capture the memories of players, supporters and people who visited the club. It isn’t surprising, considering the richness of Scottish football history, that a small but regular procession of people visit Cathkin Park on a kind of understated pilgrimage.”
He added: “The story of Third Lanark has yearned to be properly told for years and it is a credit to purpleTV that they have done so while some of the survivors of the club are still about. At the premiere at the Glasgow Film Theatre a couple of weeks ago, the players appearing in the film took part in a Q&A after the screening. It was a touching moment, their pride and joy at being associated with Thirds very much evident. But what was even more clear was the love and camaraderie these former Thirds had for each other.
“The official Thirds went down in 1967, but this is a club that refused to die in so many ways. The name, Third Lanark, was resurrected in 1996, and now an amateur team play carrying on the name and dream of further glory. But there is something more profound about the tenacity of Thirds and its refusal to just roll over and die. Third Lanark is a story from a different era of the game, and a warning of what can go wrong when unscrupulous businessmen use football clubs as mere pawns. That fate is what happened to Third Lanark in 1967, but it is a tale even more prescient in the money-saturated football world of today. Thirds were both a tragedy and a warning, but also a love story to the game.
‘Third Lanark’ is available on BBC iplayer.  Gerry Hassan’s article appears on-line in the excellent Scottish Review


  1. The illicit tour of Spain by Thirds players in the sixties got no further than one venue – Lloret de Mar.
    The Spanish Holiday Cup was contested by “Scottish Stars of Scotland” and CF Lloret.
    I had driven down there in my Triumph Herald and as I could play a bit, and never lacked for speed, I found myself a place on the right wing.
    It was Glasgow Fair and the place was packed by no-nonsense Weegies who drowned out the few locals in attendance.
    The Scottish Stars won the opener 2-1 and clinched the series, too.
    We had one well-kent face in the crowd – Jim Baxter, who was in Lloret on holiday with wife Jean and could not be persuaded to join the renegade visitors.
    I returned to my new job as a trainee sub-editor on the Evening Times sports desk, met by a stooshie regarding the unsanctioned matches.
    Sports editor George Aitken could not believe his luck when I gave him the lowdown. No so much an inside story as an outside right!
    Tony Adams.

    1. Apologies, closing reference of return to Evening Times sports desk should have read Evening Citizen. It’s an age thing!

Leave a Reply