Green Kieron Cllr
Kieron Green

By Aileen MacLennan

Could you offer a child a home in a secure, loving environment? If so, Argyll and Bute Council – it covers from Cardross to Kilcreggan and most of Loch Lomondside –  is looking for you to come forward and apply to become a foster carer.

There are always a number of young people looking for foster carers in Argyll and Bute, for a variety of reasons, either on a temporary basis while plans are made for their future, or for an extended period if they are unable to go back to their family.

Policy Lead for Social Care, Councillor Kieron Green said: “There are a number of reasons why children and young people can’t remain with their own families and need to be looked after and accommodated.

“We need more foster carers to provide these young people with the caring, stable environment they deserve and we are calling on members of the public to help.

“Every child deserves to live in a safe, loving home but unfortunately that’s not always possible. That’s why we need people in our communities to help – to give a child a chance.

“Foster carers can come from a variety of backgrounds. As long as you are over 21, factors including age, marital status and sexuality don’t matter. The most important thing for us is that we match the children with people who we believe will give them love and stability.

“We are particularly looking for foster carers for teenagers and for sibling groups, but would welcome enquiries from people interested in all types of fostering.

“If you are interested and think that you could help make a difference to a young person’s life. Please do get in touch with us.”

For further information, please visit http://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/social-care-and-health/fostering , email FPduty@argyll-bute.gov.uk or call 01546 605 517 to talk to someone.

Meanwhile, Employers across Argyll and Bute are being reminded that a work permit is required for all young people aged between 14 and 16 who work part-time whilst still at school.

Argyll and Bute Council is committed to the protection of children in employment, and has a number of byelaws which state the rules and regulations governing the employment of children – one of which is a valid work permit.

The work permit is free of charge and must be signed by the head teacher from the young person’s school, as well as a parental guardian and employer.

For more information, and to download an application form for the permit, visit the council website: https://www.argyll-bute.gov.uk/content/protection-children-work-employment-form-1

Leave a Reply