VIRUS: TOTAL NUMBER OF DEATHS IS 1616

Almost three-quarters of the total deaths were of people aged 75 or older

BBC Scotland is reporting that the total number of deaths in Scotland linked to coronavirus has risen to 1,616, new statistics have shown.

The National Records of Scotland figures include all deaths where coronavirus was believed to have been present, rather than just confirmed cases.

They showed that 651 deaths were registered between 13 and 19 April – up from 610 the previous week.

A third of the deaths were recorded in care homes such as Crosslet House and Castle View in Dumbarton.

The number of deaths linked to the virus in care homes has more than doubled in a week, from 237 to 537.

Of the 1,616 deaths where the virus has been mentioned on the death certificate either as a confirmed or suspected factor, 910 (56%) were in hospitals, while 537 (33%) were in care homes and 168 (10%) were at home or in non-institutional settings.

Almost three-quarters of the total deaths were of people aged 75 or older, with only 10 of those who died aged under 45.

Of all deaths to date involving Covid-19 in Scotland, 55% were male and 45% were female.

Scottish government data that was also released on Wednesday showed that there have now been a total of 2,085 suspected cases of the virus recorded in the country’s care homes – an increase of 212 since yesterday.

The figures also showed that 495 (46%) care homes have recorded at least one suspected case – of which 308 have recorded more than one case.

More than a third – 384 or 35% – of care homes have a current outbreak of suspected Covid-19, meaning at least one resident has shown symptoms during the past fortnight.

FM 6First Minister Nicola Sturgeon, pictured left, said the figures were “extremely difficult” to listen to and were “higher than we would ever want to think about”.

But she said the data was “really important” to provide as full a picture as possible of the spread of the virus.

Ms Sturgeon said: “It’s not unusual for people to become sick in care homes. Residents are often frail and nearing the end of their lives.

“But that does not mean that we consider any of these cases to be inevitable or that we don’t do everything we possibly can to prevent them.

“Older people in care homes require as much, if not more, support and protection as anyone else in our society and we’re working with care homes and other partners to provide that.”

Speaking at her daily briefing, Ms Sturgeon said 1,776 patients were currently in hospital with the virus, 155 of whom were in intensive care.

Both of these figures have been falling in recent days, which Ms Sturgeon said was “a cause for cautious optimism”.

However, she warned that “even a very small easing up” in restrictions and social distancing “could throw all of that progress into reverse”.

The National Records of Scotland (NRS) figures also showed that the total number of people who died in Scotland in the week to 19 April was 1,911 – nearly 80% higher than the average number registered in the same week over the past five years (1,067).

Of these 844 excess deaths, three quarters were deaths where Covid-19 was the underlying cause, while 38 were attributed to cancer and 83 to dementia and Alzheimers.

More than 100 of the “excess” deaths for that week are still to be explained, and Ms Sturgeon said “this is an issue we need to do further work on to make sure we understand it fully”.

Doctors have urged people to continue to come forward with non-coronavirus health concerns, with referral rates for suspected cancer cases falling by 72%.

One comment

  1. And so the true scale of the tsunami of Coronavirus death is now beginning to emerge and fair play to Nicola Sturgeon for bowing to the inevitable acknowledging the actual scale of death.

    That these figures chime with the Financial Times analysis on Tuesday whereby they believe there had been at that time over 41,000 deaths compared to the 17,309 reported by the UK government reinforces the extent to which the public have been deliberately lied to.

    This is unbelievable. And it’s happening right in front of our eyes. The holocaust deniers are being exposed while all the while the UK struggles to secure even the most basic supplies of medical personal protective equipment to protect medical care staff.

    I will not reproduce the FT analysis here. Most people suspected that the death rate was many times more than what the UK was trying to tell us. But what I will copy and paste here is a piece in today’s Independent about the UK’s non participation in the EU procurement initiative.

    An initiative where the UK government said there was a communications mix up. Where they said they didn’t receive an email. Where the UK’s top civil servant said the decision not to participate was political only for him to 12 hours later issue a statement to say he was wrong in saying it was political.

    I’ll leave it to readers to make up their own minds but I know what I think. Here is the piece :-

    EXTRACT FROM INDEPENDENT.

    The timeline of the episode shows how the government handled the situation:

    4 February
    British officials attended a meeting in Brussels during which the European Commission said it was ready to help organise the bulk-buying medical equipment using the power of the single market.

    2 March
    British officials attended another EU meeting where the commission’s health department said 20 EU countries were ready to join such a scheme for personal protective equipment.

    13 March
    British officials attended another meeting where EU officials discussed the addition of ventilators to the procurement scheme.

    17 March
    A spokesperson for the commission confirms in public when asked by journalists whether the UK is able to take part in the procurement scheme.

    19 March
    The prime minister Boris Johnson is urged by British politicians to join the scheme. In Brussels, the UK takes part in another meeting on joint procurement

    24 March
    Ursula von der Leyen, president of the European Commission, announces publicly that the commission’s joint procurement initiative had generated “concrete offers of considerable scale at short notice” to supply surgical masks, overalls, goggles, and face shields.

    26 March
    Asked in the morning why the UK isn’t taking part in the scheme, a Downing Street spokesperson says: “We are no longer members of the EU.” Boris Johnson is accused off being “ideological” for not taking part.
    Later in the evening the prime minister’s spokesperson tells Westminster journalists that in fact, a communication error meant the UK had missed the invitation to participate in the scheme

    29 March
    Asked why the government did not join the scheme, cabinet minister Michael Gove tells The Andrew Marr Show “there is nothing that we can’t do as an independent nation that being part of that scheme would have allowed us to do” adding that there was “communication confusion”.

    10 April
    Matt Hancock tells a Downing Street briefing the UK is working hard opening new supply lines for protective equipment around the world to fill a shortage.

    12 April
    The extended deadline for putting orders in the latest round of the EU’s equipment procurement scheme. The UK has placed no orders.

    14 April
    Cabinet minister Therese Coffey seems to suggest not going the scheme was a deliberate decision, telling LBC radio: “The government has made an assessment that by joining the schemes, it wasn’t going to make any particular difference.”

    21 April
    The Foreign Office’s top civil servant Sir Simon McDonald tells MPs he briefed ministers about the options and that they made a “political decision” not to join the scheme.
    Later in the afternoon, Matt Hancock tells a daily press briefing “as far as I’m aware there was no political decision not to participate in that scheme … we are now members of that scheme”.
    Following the briefing by the health secretary, Sir Simon writes to MPs to retract what he told them.

    22 April
    Contrary to what Matt Hancock said the day before, EU officials tell The Independent: “They are not participating in any of the existing schemes but they have indicated that they would be open to participating in any future schemes.” In Brussels, a Commission spokesperson refers to the meetings the EU attended and says there was “ample opportunity” to join. At a briefing in Westminster, a Downing Street spokesperson says “nobody” leant on Sir Simon to get him to retract his report to MPs.

    Ends:

    Holocaust deniers I think is the only apt description that can be applied to our government in Westminster. But they are not just holocaust deniers. If even a shred of this is accurate, and there is no evidence to suggest that it isn’t, by their actions they are mass murderers too.

    No wonder Boris Johnson is hiding in some modern day bunker with his modern day equivalent of Eva Braun.

Leave a Reply