By Lucy Ashton
Senior consultants at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde are appealing to members of the public to understand the risks involved when using fireworks.
The Royal Hospital for Children has treated a number of firework related injuries over the last few days which resulted in several children being admitted to the hospital requiring specialist treatment, including surgery.
Dr Vincent Choudhery, Consultant in Paediatric Emergency Medicine at NHS Greater Glasgow and Clyde, said: “Firework safety is vitally important as several children have attended the Emergency Department at the Royal Hospital for Children with firework injuries over the last few days.
“We continue to work with partners at the Scottish Government, emergency services and members of the public to minimise further attendance for this type of incident. As the festive period approaches, it is important to understand the risk involved with fireworks and how to use them sensibly.
“Although accidents happen, NHS Greater and Glasgow and Clyde are appealing to parents to ensure displays can be enjoyed in safe environment for the whole family.
“This comes at a time when the RHC, like many other hospitals, are seeing record levels of emergency attendance across a range of medical and surgical specialties at the front door.
“I would like to thank all the members of staff at The Royal Hospital for Children who provided care and support following a very challenging few days.”
For more information and guidance around how fireworks can be enjoyed safely, log on to https://www.firescotland.gov.uk/your-safety/outdoors/fireworks-and-bonfire-safety/
Picture Caption: Royal Hospital for Children