By Lucy Ashton
Jackie Baillie has given her support to the Cystic Fibrosis Trust’s Festive campaign aimed at highlighting the financial hardship which people with the condition find themselves in.
This campaign follows the Trust’s Cost of Cystic Fibrosis (CF) survey, which found four in 10 respondents had to borrow money to buy essentials or cover basic bills.
The Dumbarton constituency MSP has been a long time supporter of Cystic Fibrosis research and awareness as a result of her constituent Kelli Gallacher’s own battle with the disease.
Jackie Baillie, right, said: “It is devastating that so many people with Cystic Fibrosis are struggling to make ends meet. This illness is debilitating and for a patient to have to deal with the financial stress on top of that is too much to bear.
“I thank the Cystic Fibrosis Trust for carrying out this survey and hope that in the New Year, the Scottish Government will do all in their power to reduce the cost burden of living with CF.”
About Cystic fibrosis
- Cystic fibrosis (CF) is an inherited, life-shortening and life-limiting genetic condition, primarily affecting the lungs and digestive system.
- It demands an incredibly high burden of treatment, taking at least 2-5 hours every day and those with CF are required to consume up to 70 pills a day.
- People with CF are particularly susceptible to lung infections and cannot meet face to face, due to the risk of cross-infection.
- Around 11,000 people in the UK have CF, with approximately 9,000 living with the condition in England, 1,000 in Scotland, 500 in Wales and 500 in Northern Ireland.
- There has been much progress in the quality of life for most people with CF, since Kaftrio was first made available to certain UK CF patients aged 12 and over in January 2020.
- However, recent data still shows that, tragically, half of those who died from cystic fibrosis in the UK last year were 38 years old or younger.
About the Cystic Fibrosis Trust
- Cystic Fibrosis Trust is the only UK-wide charity dedicated to supporting everyone affected by cystic fibrosis. Visitwww.cysticfibrosis.org.uk for more information.
- Cystic Fibrosis Trust’s staffing report is linked here: UK Cystic Fibrosis Service Resourcing – Report June 2022
- Cystic Fibrosis Trust’s Cost of CF report is linked here: The cost of cystic fibrosis – June 2022
Pictures: Bonhill woman Kelli Gallacher and friend and Bonhill from the air.